Tuesday, February 28, 2006

kids and household gadgets

My nephews have caught the hand, foot and mouth disease. They have been staying over for the past few days. They watch cartoons the whole day. I have not watched any of tv programmes for the day yet. See how much control they have over the TV.

I noticed that my nephews are very good at understanding household appliances. For instance, my 2 month old living room phone has a speaker function. I am well aware of that but have never bothered to read the manual to learn how to operate it. Anyway, my 4 (turning 5 on 18 March) year old nephew cooly discovered how to use the speaker phone by himself. I bought the phone, but I dont know how to use all the functions but my nephew does. Today, he turned on the clock function on my SCV set top. I was amazed. I never knew there was a clock function.

It is both funny and sad. Firstly because it is riduculous that owners of appliances dont really know the functions of things they buy. Secondly, the reason why it is so because we have lost our sense of curiosity. I used to be as curious as a cat. I learnt many things by doing the same things my nephew did. Now as an adult, there is no time to keep up with my curious nature. I am so dull.

Today's exciting news: AHS B div boys softballers fought a good fight in the finals against Damai at Turf City. A very exciting match. I take my hat off to my boys. Though we lost by 1 run (the score is 3-2 to damai), I am very proud of them. Go for finals in the Nationals. Let me have another reason to wear my jersey again. hehhehe.

No comments: