Saturday, March 18, 2006

complex toys

I never realized that toys have evolved so much today. What happened to plain old marbles and pick up sticks, 5 stones and simple robots and cars? They have somehow disappeared and are replaced by complicated toys that requires assembly and more than basic understanding of mechanics.

we celebrated my nephew's 5th birthday today. He had plenty of presents, the biggest from his parents - Hot Wheels racing track and cars. Pretty cool, and we wowed at how wonderful his presents are until we realised that we needed to put them together and there were like millions of parts. And such complicated instructions, too. So 3 adults tried to fix the track. I read the manual, giving instructions, and my bro in law and his cousin were fixing the track with 6 over-excited, screaming children trying to help, but actually hindering, around us. It took us 1/2 an hour to assemble it. Halfway the kids were already pushing cars around the track while we were still attaching various parts of the track together. In the end, when we were done, we were exhausted and the kids had such a ball trying out the battery operated race track and hot wheels. All we could do was watch them play. We had our turn when the kids left. Hhehee.

That was not the only present that needed assembly. Most presents required us to assemble the parts. There was 2 more hot wheels stuff, a transformer robot and I bought for him a Lego like toy that he can fix and build 3 racing cars. After piecing the other 2 Hot Wheels products and trying to figure out the transformer, I did not even dare to open my present. Mine has gzillion parts and I had enough of putting things together.

The adults marveled at such toys. we never had anything so sophisticated in our childhood. It is nice and all, but it wouldn't last very long nor would it hold the attention of my nephew for long when the novelty wears off. Today's toys are sophisticated but it does not hold much promise of giving them any imagination or creativity. I still prefer my old toys. Too bad today's kids don't get to play them.

No comments: